Partner, The Motivator
“I am a fitness advocate who needs no motivation to work out, but I still recognize the value of a personal trainer to strengthen my resolve, improve my techniques, and find new ways to achieve my goals.…I fill a similar role with our portfolio companies: I function as a kind of ‘personal trainer’—a coach and champion for entrepreneurs and their teams to build delightful, winning products and scalable businesses.”
I'm currently championing:
Cloudgenix: Software-defined enterprise WAN
Versa Networks: Network function virtualization provider
I’m currently focusing on:
Deep technology innovation in software, security, systems, storage, networking and connected devices that is redefining the cloud, mobile, enterprises, and service providers.
Some of my pre-Mayfield investments:
- Memoir Systems: Memory acceleration (acquired by Cisco Systems in September 2014)
- Xpliant: 10/40/100Gbps Switching (acquired by Cavium in July 2014)
Some of my notable successes:
- Cisco WAN Optimization (2008): Taking business from concept to $100M/quarter and market leadership . It was one of the rare instances where Cisco got a new business to this scale without spending $1B+ in acquisitions and with great industry awards such as the Best of Interop in 2008 for Network and Application Performance .
- Co-founder & CEO of StorSimple (2012): Founded during 2009 recession, StorSimple raised $30M+ in venture capital, created a new category of enterprise storage, got to $10M+ in revenue run rate across 100+ enterprise customers within 3 years. StorSimple became the market leader in cloud-integrated storage and won numerous accolades including Storage System of the Year 2011 from Storage Magazine/Searchstorage.com. Microsoft acquired StorSimple in 2012 in one of the largest cloud infrastructure acquisitions. Ursheet joined Mayfield after the successful integration of StorSimple.
- StorSimple (2009-2012) – Acquired by Microsoft
- Jalva Media (2000-2002) – RIP
My first after-college job was:
Technology Analyst at Deloitte Consulting for systems architecture and integration on large scale enterprise IT projects..
I have worked as:
- Co-founder, CEO, General Manager, StorSimple/Microsoft
- Director, Marketing, Cisco Systems
- Product Manager, Andiamo Systems & Kuokoa Networks
- Co-founder & VP Product Management, Jalva Media
- Patent #8452932: “System and method for efficiently creating off-site data volume backup” (i.e., cloud snapshots) (Issued May 2013)
- Patent #7774538: ”Dynamic, on-demand storage area network (SAN) cache” (Issued Aug 2010)
Greatest insight provided by an entrepreneur
“When building your team, don’t compromise on passion, intellect & attitude. Everything else can be taught.” – Jayshree Ullal, CEO, Arista Networks
My formal education includes:
- University of Pennsylvania/Wharton School, MBA
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Bachelor’s of Technology, Computer Science and Engineering. Awarded the IIT Bombay Young Alumni Achiever Award 2015 for contributions to development of network and storage technologies.
I keep current by reading:
I am passionate about:
- Helping entrepreneurs hit escape velocity
- The San Francisco 49ers “ ”
- Health and fitness